The “Songs and Stories” podcast started in 2007 as a way to explore about the stories behind the songs. The show quickly evolved into a series of informal chats with songwriters. It’s a fun mix of shop talk, promo, and live performances.
How to listen:
- Click below on the links for recent episodes – and the archive. Each one includes a description, related links, and the audio.
- Subscribe in iTunes or with the Sticher app, and the latest episodes are downloaded to your computer or device automatically.
- Tune into Grateful Dread Public Radio (Fridays at 11:00am Pacific, 1:00pm Central, 2:00pm Eastern) or KC Cafe Radio (Saturdays at 9:00am Eastern).
The episodes. Click the titles for more details on each:
- #174: “The Sweet Potatoes” / March 8, 2018
LA acoustic trio The Sweet Potatoes talk about and play from their new release, “Headin’ Home”.
- #173: “Live Songs From Episodes Past” / January 19, 2018
Live performance highlights from past episodes features tunes from Blackie Farrell, Gurf Morlix, Martha Groves Perry, Keith Greeninger, Chuck McCabe, and The Coffis Brothers
- #172: “Michael Gaither & Steve Kritzer on KPIG” / December 8, 2017
Host Michael Gaither and pal Steve Kritzer play songs from their new records, “Hey Karma” and “Right Where I’m Supposed to Be” and talk about their upcoming dual-release shows.
- #171: Jeffrey Halford’s “lo Fi Dreams” / September 26, 2017
Jeffrey Halford talks about his Texas roots, his California upbringing, and his newest record, “Lo Fi Dreams”
- #170: “All In Good Time” with Rhan Wilson / August 9, 2017
Santa Cruz producer/arranger talks about his new book, “All In Good Time”
- #169: “Gurf Morlix Returns with The Soul and The Heal” / June 30, 2017
Austin songwriter/producer Gurf Morlix makes this third visit to the podcast and talks about his new release “The Soul and the Heal”.
- #168: “Greg Kihn is ReKihndled“ / April 19, 2017
Bay area favorite Greg Kihn talks about songwriting, his latest release “Rekihndled”, and his gratitude for surviving rock and roll.
- #167: “Russell Brutsche’s Bucket of Gold“ / February 13, 2017
Santa Cruz songwriter/painter Russell Brutsche talks about his latest release, “Bucket of Gold”
- #166: “Jonathan Foster and Miracle Mile Records” / January 1, 2017
Songwriter Jonathan Foster talks about his latest release,
Help Me Run and what led him to form the indie label, “Miracle Mile Records”