The “Songs and Stories” podcast started in 2007 as a way to explore about the stories behind the songs. The show quickly evolved into a series of informal chats with songwriters. It’s a fun mix of shop talk, promo, and live performances.
How to listen:
- Click below on the links for recent episodes – and the archive. Each one includes a description, related links, and the audio.
- Subscribe in iTunes or with the Sticher app, and the latest episodes are downloaded to your computer or device automatically.
- Tune into Grateful Dread Public Radio (Fridays at 11:00am Pacific, 1:00pm Central, 2:00pm Eastern) or KC Cafe Radio (Saturdays at 9:00am Eastern).
The episodes. Click the titles for more details on each:
- #170: “All In Good Time” with Rhan Wilson / August 9, 2017
Santa Cruz producer/arranger talks about his new book, “All In Good Time”
- #169: “Gurf Morlix Returns with The Soul and The Heal” / June 30, 2017
Austin songwriter/producer Gurf Morlix makes this third visit to the podcast and talks about his new release “The Soul and the Heal”.
- #168: “Greg Kihn is ReKihndled“ / April 19, 2017
Bay area favorite Greg Kihn talks about songwriting, his latest release “Rekihndled”, and his gratitude for surviving rock and roll.
- #167: “Russell Brutsche’s Bucket of Gold“ / February 13, 2017
Santa Cruz songwriter/painter Russell Brutsche talks about his latest release, “Bucket of Gold”
- #166: “Jonathan Foster and Miracle Mile Records” / January 1, 2017
Songwriter Jonathan Foster talks about his latest release,
Help Me Run and what led him to form the indie label, “Miracle Mile Records”
- #165: “Something Good from Martha Groves Perry” / November 7, 2016
Classically trained musician Martha Groves Perry discusses her journey from playing in symphonies, to writing her own songs, to fronting her on band on her debut release, “Something Good”.
- #164: “Nancy Cassidy’s Heart of a Song“ / October 29, 2016
Nancy Cassidy talks about her latest release, “Heart of a Song,” which was born out of her experience performing in rest homes and for Bread and Roses events.
- #163: Kevin Welch / September 23, 2016
Kevin Welch talks about the beginnings of the Americana genre, touring with The Dead Reckoners, and the songwriting retreats he now runs from his Texas hill country home.
- #162: Dayan Kai’s Maui Update / August 17, 2016
A quick visit – and lots of music – from Maui-based singer/songwriter Dayan Kai
- #161: Recent Radio Part Two – More New Tunes / August 1, 2016
Host Michael Gaither interviewed on KZSC radio. Includes several live performances and two new songs
- #160: “Scott Cooper on Batik in Blue” / July 7, 2016
Local Santa Cruz favorite Scott Cooper talks about his new CD
- #159: “Cafe Musique Ebbs and Flows” / June 22, 2016
A chat with the SLO-based outfit about their new release, “Ebb and Flow”
- #158: Recent Radio – And My Red Skelton Story” / May 31, 2016
Highlights from Michael’s recent radio appearances, including a new song about Red Skelton
- #157: “Michelle Chappel – Call Me Crazy“ / April 21, 2016
Psychologist turned award-winning songwriter Michelle Chappel talks about her new release, “Call Me Crazy”
- #156: “Blackie Farrell’s Cold Country Blues“ / April 21, 2016
Legendary songwriter Blackie Farrell talks about his long-awaited debut record and plays “Sonora’s Death Row” live on the show.
- #155: Dan Frechette and Laurel Thomsen / March 22, 2016
Canadian-born Dan Frechette and Monterey Bay native Laurel Thomsen talk about how their musical collaboration developed and discuss the IndieGoGo campaign for their upcoming third release.
- #154: Mark and Cindy Lemaire / February 22, 2016
Kitchen-table chat about Mark’s precise guitar style, how it merges with Cindy’s harmony, and what it’s like for artists to see the business from the presenter’s side of the house
- #153: A Post-Show Chat with Amy Rigby / January 5, 2016
The witty and brilliant New York songwriter talks about plans for a new solo record and life as an ex-expatriate