The “Songs and Stories” podcast started in 2007 as a way to explore about the stories behind the songs. The show quickly evolved into a series of informal chats with songwriters. It’s a fun mix of shop talk, promo, and live performances.
How to listen:
- Click below on the links for recent episodes – and the archive. Each one includes a description, related links, and the audio.
- Subscribe in iTunes or with the Sticher app, and the latest episodes are downloaded to your computer or device automatically.
- Tune into Grateful Dread Public Radio (Fridays at 11:00am Pacific, 1:00pm Central, 2:00pm Eastern) or KC Cafe Radio (Saturdays at 9:00am Eastern).
The episodes. Click the titles for more details on each:
- #163: Kevin Welch / September 23, 2016
Kevin Welch talks about the beginnings of the Americana genre, touring with The Dead Reckoners, and the songwriting retreats he now runs from his Texas hill country home.
- #162: Dayan Kai’s Maui Update / August 17, 2016
A quick visit – and lots of music – from Maui-based singer/songwriter Dayan Kai
- #161: Recent Radio Part Two – More New Tunes / August 1, 2016
Host Michael Gaither interviewed on KZSC radio. Includes several live performances and two new songs
- #160: Scott Cooper on “Batik in Blue” / July 7, 2016
Local Santa Cruz favorite Scott Cooper talks about his new CD
- #159: “Cafe Musique Ebbs and Flows” / June 22, 2016
A chat with the SLO-based outfit about their new release, “Ebb and Flow”
- #158: Recent Radio – And My Red Skelton Story” / May 31, 2016
Highlights from Michael’s recent radio appearances, including a new song about Red Skelton
- #157: Michelle Chappel – “Call Me Crazy” / April 21, 2016
Psychologist turned award-winning songwriter Michelle Chappel talks about her new release, “Call Me Crazy”
- #156: Blackie Farrell’s “Cold Country Blues” / April 21, 2016
Legendary songwriter Blackie Farrell talks about his long-awaited debut record and plays “Sonora’s Death Row” live on the show.
- #155: Dan Frechette and Laurel Thomsen / March 22, 2016
Canadian-born Dan Frechette and Monterey Bay native Laurel Thomsen talk about how their musical collaboration developed and discuss the IndieGoGo campaign for their upcoming third release.
- #154: Mark and Cindy Lemaire / February 22, 2016
Kitchen-table chat about Mark’s precise guitar style, how it merges with Cindy’s harmony, and what it’s like for artists to see the business from the presenter’s side of the house
- #153: A Post-Show Chat with Amy Rigby / January 5, 2016
The witty and brilliant New York songwriter talks about plans for a new solo record and life as an ex-expatriate
- #152: Robert Berry and the December People / November 20, 2015
Interview with producer/musician Berry and the annual project that merges classic rock with Christmas and holiday music
- #151: KPIG Recap and Upcoming Podcasts / October 30, 2015
Radio interview and live takes on “Hang It Up” and “Where’d the Time Go?”
- #150: “Remembering Audrey Auld” / October 6, 2015
Replay of a 2012 interview with the late Audrey Auld, updated with songs from her final two releases
- #149: Cosy Sheridan / September 9, 2015
Cosy Sheridan talks about her latest release, “Pretty Bird,” using alternate tunings, and teaching in folk music camps
- #148: Kenny Butterill / August 5, 2015
Interview with Canadian/U.S, songwriter Kenny Butterill, as he heads out to a 2015 European tour
- #147: Gurf Morlix and Blackie Farrell / June 26, 2015
Filed under “my new favorite episode”, this is a second visit with Gurf Morlix, along with legendary songwriter Blackie Farrell
- #146: Flashback – Mary Gauthier / April 29, 2015
A rare “Songs and Stories” rerun, revising a chat with the amazing Mary Gauthier
- #145:”Ernest Troost” / April 1, 2015
Emmy award-winning Los Angeles film composer – and Kerrville New Folk award recipient – Ernest Troost talks about his new release, “O Love”
- #144:”Songwriter and Guitar Slinger Will Kimbrough” / February 23, 2015
Second of a two-part interview with Brigitte DeMeyer and Will Kimbrough. This focuses on Will’s new release, “Carnival Love”, and his “day job” work with Todd Snider and Rodney Crowell’s bands.
- #143: “Nashville Songwriter Brigitte DeMeyer” / February 15, 2015
First of a two-part interview with Brigitte DeMeyer and Will Kimbrough. This focuses on Brigitte’s new release, “Savannah Road”.
- #142: “Drive-Ins and Mountain Lions” / January 16, 2015
Audio from Michael Gaither’s recent appearance on KZSC radio, featuring live takes of his songs “Starlite Drive-In Saturday Night” and a new tune, “The Ghost of Seventeen”