The “Songs and Stories” podcast started in 2007 as a way to talk about the stories behind a few of the songs. The show quickly evolved into a series of informal chats between Michael and other songwriters. They’ll discuss influences, latest projects, a bit of the business, or whatever pop cultural mintuate is in the air at the moment.
Subscribe in iTunes, and the latest episodes will be automatically downloaded to your computer. Here on the interwebs, “Songs and Stories” airs Friday nights at 7:00 pm (eastern time) on Grateful Dread Radio in Summit, New Jersey, and Saturdays at 9:00 am and Sundays at 6:00 pm (eastern time again) on KC Cafe Radio in Kansas City, Missouri.
You can also listen to any past episode by clicking the titles below:
- #134: “Re-rockin’ and Re-stompin’ on KVMR” / March 28, 2014
A visit to KVMR’s “Rockin’ and Stompin’. Features Michael being interviewed for a change, and live performances of “Broke,” “Starlite Drive-In Saturday Night,” “Tell Me Where It Hurts,” and “Don’t Let Us Get Sick”.
- #133: “Aireene Espiritu and The Hobos”/ February 20th, 2014
A kitchen-table talk with an old pal – and some new friends – about life on the road, plans for recording, American’s preoccupation with banjo jokes, and why only one member of The Hobos watches “The Walking Dead”.
- #131: “Santa Cruz County Art of Guitar Exhibit and Festival”/ January 11th, 2014
Songwriter Jayme Kelly Curtis and Santa Cruz Guitar Company founder Richard Hoover discuss the upcoming six-week festival with celebrates 20 Santa Cruz County luthiers (guitar makers) through gallery showings and concerts.
- #132: “Carolyn Sills and Gerard Egan”/ November 29th, 2013
Carolyn Sills and Gerard Egan discuss their new release, “The Carolyn Sills Combo,” which combines western swing, jazz, surf rock, and old country. This interview takes place after hours at Santa Cruz Guitar Company.
- #130: “Evie Ladin and Keith Terry”/ October 30th, 2013
Banjo player, clogger, songwriter Evie Ladin and her husband, percussionist Keith Terry, discuss the new “Evie Ladin Band” CD backstage at the American River Music Festival.
- #129: “Dayan Kai Resonates” / September 18th, 2013
Singer, songwriter, producer (and frequent “Songs and Stories” guest) Dayan Kai discusses his latest CD, “Resonate”.
- #128: “Sean Hayes” / August 13th, 2013
Indie artist Sean Hayes – he’s self-released seven CDs – talks about how being born in New York, raised in North Carolina, and finally relocating in the San Francisco Bay Area shaped his musical outlook.
- #127: Fred Reiss on “Today Cancer – Tomorrow the World” / July 17th, 2013
A rare, non-music interview. Author and former radio guy and comic Fred Reiss discusses his second bout with testicular cancer which led to the very honest – and at times very funny – nonfiction work “Today Cancer – Tomorrow the World”.
- #126: “Birds of Chicago” / June 20th, 2013
JT Nero and Allison Russell discuss how their musical partnership and their debut album. “Field trip” interview at the Strawberry Music Festival.
- #125: Nancy Cassidy’s “Song of Joy” / May 10th, 2013
Nancy Cassidy talks about how a close friend’s illness led to the “Song of Joy” record and what we can expect from her new release, “Memphis”.
- #124: Stevie Coyle’s “Mighty Fine Guitars” / March 13th, 2013
Fingerstyle wizard talks about leaving the road after 20 years and opening the Mighty Fine Guitars boutique in Lafayette CA.
- #123: Dana Hubbard’s Seven-Month Marathon / January 22nd, 2013
Blues singer/songwriter Dana Hubbard returns to the podcast to recap his cross-country RV tour.
- #122: A Visit with Somer Valley FM / December 10th, 2012
DJ Ray James of Somer Valley FM (in Somerset, England) interviews Michael about his new release, “Starlite Drive-In Saturday Night.
- #121: Off-Road Again with Jennings and Keller / November 27th, 2012
Catching up with Florida duo Laurie Jennings and Dana Keller on their annual California summer tour, along with a look at their new release “Mirror with a Memory”.
- #120: Audrey Auld – From Tasmania to Nashville / October 29th, 2012
Audrey Auld talks about her new releases: The “Resurrection Moon” compilation and the Woody Guthrie-inspired “Wood”.
- #119: Antsy McClain’s “Living the Dream” / September 25th, 2012
Another visit with Antsy McClain as he talks about hitting 50 and how it inspired his new record, “Living the Dream”.
- #118: “Starlite…” Release Party Preview / August 6th, 2012
Live radio KPIG radio interview with live versions of “Starlite Drive-In Saturday Night” and “Good Souls” from the new CD.
- #117: Rita Hosking / July 6th, 2012
Award-winning songwriter Rita Hosking talks about the “Burn” CD and her upcoming 2012 summer festival appearances.
- #116: Springhouse and the “Colville” Project / June 12th, 2012
Houston Jones’ songwriter/bass player Chris Key discusses his new Springhouse acoustic trio and their debut release “Colville”.
- #115: Asyst Watches a “Setting Sun” / March 5, 2012
Local metal band Asyst discusses their new release.
- #114: The Great American Taxi / January 21, 2012
The Boulder CO-based “Jamericana” band talks about the new studio effort, “Paradise Lost”.
- #113: The Brothers Comatose / December 14, 2011
A visit with Ben and Alex Morrison backstage at the American River Music Festival.
- #112: The Coffis Brothers / October 19, 2011
Jamie (keyboard) and Kellen (guitar) Coffis talk about recording their first record at Gadgetbox Studios in Santa Cruz, CA
- #111: The Band of Heathens / August 4, 2011
Backstage at Kuumbwa with the Austin-based Band of Heathens.
- #110: Paul Kamm and Eleanore MacDonald / June 27, 2011
A visit with the Grass Valley-based duo.
- #109: Annie Moscow on “Phoenix” / June 8, 2011
A kitchen-table chat with the Arizona singer/songwriter on a recent California run.
- #108: Catching Up with Colin Gilmore / May 16, 2011
Colin visits “Songs and Stories” again, this time backstage at Don Quixote’s Music Hall in Felton, CA.
- #107: Backstage with Megan Slankard / May 5, 2011
The San Francisco singer/songwriter talks about what went into “Token of the Wreckage”, her third record.
- #106: Greg Kitchel: Live from Baja / April 12, 2011
Fingerpicker and storyteller Greg Kitchel talks about life in Mexico and his annual trek back to the states in this visit from camp at The American River Music Festival.
- #105: Craig Rayburn / March 21, 2011
Santa Cruz songwriter discusses his influences and the plans for his next record.
- #104: Vickki Thorn Simpson of The Waifs / March 7, 2011
A telephone interview with one-third of one of my very favorite bands.
- #102 and 103: Stephanie Bettman and Luke Halpin / February 21, 2011
A Los Angeles-based multi-instrumentalist duo discuss life on the road and their upcoming move to Colorado.
- #101: Antsy McClain / January 17, 2011
The “lead-singer guy” for the Trailer Park Troubadours comes by “podcast headquarters” for a talk about music, creativity, and his newest project which was recorded at Sun Studios in Memphis, TN.
Archive Pages (Past Years)