The “Songs and Stories” Podcast
The “Songs and Stories” podcast started in 2007 as a way to talk about the stories behind a few of the songs. The show quickly evolved into a series of informal chats between Michael and other songwriters. They’ll discuss influences, latest projects, a bit of the business, or whatever pop cultural mintuate is in the air at the moment.
Subscribe in iTunes, and the latest episodes will be automatically downloaded to your computer. Here on the interwebs, “Songs and Stories” airs Friday nights at 7:00 pm (eastern time) on Grateful Dread Radio in Summit, New Jersey, and Saturdays at 9:00 am and Sundays at 6:00 pm (eastern time again) on KC Cafe Radio in Kansas City, Missouri.
You can also hear any past episode by clicking the links below:
- #124: Songs and Stories #124: Stevie Coyle’s “Mighty Fine Guitars” / March 13th, 2013
Fingerstyle wizard talks about leaving the road after 20 years and opening the Mighty Fine Guitars boutique in Lafayette CA.
- #123: Songs and Stories #123: Dana Hubbard’s Seven-Month Marathon / January 22nd, 2013
Blues singer/songwriter Dana Hubbard returns to the podcast to recap his cross-country RV tour.
- #122: A Visit with Somer Valley FM / December 10th, 2012
DJ Ray James of Somer Valley FM (in Somerset, England) interviews Michael about his new release, “Starlite Drive-In Saturday Night.
- #121: Off-Road Again with Jennings and Keller / November 27th, 2012
Catching up with Florida duo Laurie Jennings and Dana Keller on their annual California summer tour, along with a look at their new release “Mirror with a Memory”.
- #120: Audrey Auld – From Tasmania to Nashville / October 29th, 2012
Audrey Auld talks about her new releases: The “Resurrection Moon” compilation and the Woody Guthrie-inspired “Wood”.
- #119: Antsy McClain’s “Living the Dream” / September 25th, 2012
Another visit with Antsy McClain as he talks about hitting 50 and how it inspired his new record, “Living the Dream”.
- #118: “Starlite…” Release Party Preview / August 6th, 2012
Live radio KPIG radio interview with live versions of “Starlite Drive-In Saturday Night” and “Good Souls” from the new CD.
- #117: Rita Hosking / July 6th, 2012
Award-winning songwriter Rita Hosking talks about the “Burn” CD and her upcoming 2012 summer festival appearances.
- #116: Springhouse and the “Colville” Project / June 12th, 2012
Houston Jones’ songwriter/bass player Chris Key discusses his new Springhouse acoustic trio and their debut release “Colville”.
- #115: Asyst Watches a “Setting Sun” / March 5, 2012
Local metal band Asyst discusses their new release.
- #114: The Great American Taxi / January 21, 2012
The Boulder CO-based “Jamericana” band talks about the new studio effort, “Paradise Lost”.
- #113: The Brothers Comatose / December 14, 2011
A visit with Ben and Alex Morrison backstage at the American River Music Festival.
- #112: The Coffis Brothers / October 19, 2011
Jamie (keyboard) and Kellen (guitar) Coffis talk about recording their first record at Gadgetbox Studios in Santa Cruz, CA
- #111: The Band of Heathens / August 4, 2011
Backstage at Kuumbwa with the Austin-based Band of Heathens.
- #110: Paul Kamm and Eleanore MacDonald / June 27, 2011
A visit with the Grass Valley-based duo.
- #109: Annie Moscow on “Phoenix” / June 8, 2011
A kitchen-table chat with the Arizona singer/songwriter on a recent California run.
- #108: Catching Up with Colin Gilmore / May 16, 2011
Colin visits “Songs and Stories” again, this time backstage at Don Quixote’s Music Hall in Felton, CA.
- #107: Backstage with Megan Slankard / May 5, 2011
The San Francisco singer/songwriter talks about what went into “Token of the Wreckage”, her third record.
- #106: Greg Kitchel: Live from Baja / April 12, 2011
Fingerpicker and storyteller Greg Kitchel talks about life in Mexico and his annual trek back to the states in this visit from camp at The American River Music Festival.
- #105: Craig Rayburn / March 21, 2011
Santa Cruz songwriter discusses his influences and the plans for his next record.
- #104: Vickki Thorn Simpson of The Waifs / March 7, 2011
A telephone interview with one-third of one of my very favorite bands.
- #102 and 103: Stephanie Bettman and Luke Halpin / February 21, 2011
A Los Angeles-based multi-instrumentalist duo discuss life on the road and their upcoming move to Colorado.
- #101: Antsy McClain / January 17, 2011
The “lead-singer guy” for the Trailer Park Troubadours comes by “podcast headquarters” for a talk about music, creativity, and his newest project which was recorded at Sun Studios in Memphis, TN.
Archive Pages (Past Years)