The “Songs and Stories” podcast started in 2007 as a way to explore about the stories behind the songs. The show quickly evolved into a series of informal chats with songwriters. It’s a fun mix of shop talk, promo, and live performances.
How to listen:
- Click below on the links for recent episodes – and the archive. Each one includes a description, related links, and the audio.
- Subscribe in iTunes or with the Sticher app, and the latest episodes are downloaded to your computer or device automatically.
- Tune into Grateful Dread Radio Nashville (Fridays, 7:00 pm ET) or KC Cafe Radio (Saturdays, 9:00 am ET).
The episodes. Click the titles for more details on each:
- #159: “Cafe Musique Ebbs and Flows” / June 22, 2016
A chat with the SLO-based outfit about their new release, “Ebb and Flow”
- #158: Recent Radio – And My Red Skelton Story” / May 31, 2016
Highlights from Michael’s recent radio appearances, including a new song about Red Skelton
- #157: Michelle Chappel – “Call Me Crazy” / April 21, 2016
Psychologist turned award-winning songwriter Michelle Chappel talks about her new release, “Call Me Crazy”
- #156: Blackie Farrell’s “Cold Country Blues” / April 21, 2016
Legendary songwriter Blackie Farrell talks about his long-awaited debut record and plays “Sonora’s Death Row” live on the show.
- #155: Dan Frechette and Laurel Thomsen / March 22, 2016
Canadian-born Dan Frechette and Monterey Bay native Laurel Thomsen talk about how their musical collaboration developed and discuss the IndieGoGo campaign for their upcoming third release.
- #154: Mark and Cindy Lemaire / February 22, 2016
Kitchen-table chat about Mark’s precise guitar style, how it merges with Cindy’s harmony, and what it’s like for artists to see the business from the presenter’s side of the house
- #153: A Post-Show Chat with Amy Rigby / January 5, 2016
The witty and brilliant New York songwriter talks about plans for a new solo record and life as an ex-expatriate
- #152: Robert Berry and the December People / November 20, 2015
Interview with producer/musician Berry and the annual project that merges classic rock with Christmas and holiday music
- #151: KPIG Recap and Upcoming Podcasts / October 30, 2015
Radio interview and live takes on “Hang It Up” and “Where’d the Time Go?”
- #150: “Remembering Audrey Auld” / October 6, 2015
Replay of a 2012 interview with the late Audrey Auld, updated with songs from her final two releases
- #149: Cosy Sheridan / September 9, 2015
Cosy Sheridan talks about her latest release, “Pretty Bird,” using alternate tunings, and teaching in folk music camps
- #148: Kenny Butterill / August 5, 2015
Interview with Canadian/U.S, songwriter Kenny Butterill, as he heads out to a 2015 European tour
- #147: Gurf Morlix and Blackie Farrell / June 26, 2015
Filed under “my new favorite episode”, this is a second visit with Gurf Morlix, along with legendary songwriter Blackie Farrell
- #146: Flashback – Mary Gauthier / April 29, 2015
A rare “Songs and Stories” rerun, revising a chat with the amazing Mary Gauthier
- #145:”Ernest Troost” / April 1, 2015
Emmy award-winning Los Angeles film composer – and Kerrville New Folk award recipient – Ernest Troost talks about his new release, “O Love”
- #144:”Songwriter and Guitar Slinger Will Kimbrough” / February 23, 2015
Second of a two-part interview with Brigitte DeMeyer and Will Kimbrough. This focuses on Will’s new release, “Carnival Love”, and his “day job” work with Todd Snider and Rodney Crowell’s bands.
- #143: “Nashville Songwriter Brigitte DeMeyer” / February 15, 2015
First of a two-part interview with Brigitte DeMeyer and Will Kimbrough. This focuses on Brigitte’s new release, “Savannah Road”.
- #142: “Drive-Ins and Mountain Lions” / January 16, 2015
Audio from Michael Gaither’s recent appearance on KZSC radio, featuring live takes of his songs “Starlite Drive-In Saturday Night” and a new tune, “The Ghost of Seventeen”